DL Travel Policy and Expense Reporting
Setting Up the DL Visit
The SSCS chapter chair or event-planning commitee selects the speaker from the active DL roster as well as a potential date. To keep expenses low, the event should coincide with another activity of the DL in the same geographical area.
Gettiing Approval for SSCS Funding
After the speaker and date have been determined, the Chapter must contact the DL Program Chair, Frank O'Mahony, and copy SSCS Staff, Abira Altvater to get funding approval. If the DL declines the Chapter's invitation, the Chapter should notify the DL Program Chair.
The Chapter is expected to cover all local expenses for the DL (taxis, food, etc.).
If the Chapter is unable to cover local expenses and/or if the DL needs additional travel funding
(airfare, hotel, etc.), the Chapter or DL must provide the SSCS Administrator with details of the
travel plan and the costs to be reimbursed by SSCS.
The maximum funding allotted by SSCS for DL trips is
- $1000/trip (local/regional)
- $2000/trip (inter continental)
- $3000/year (per year)
SSCS will not fund lecturers for events that charge a registration fee.
Promoting SSCS During the Visit - SSCS Overview Powerpoint Presentation
1. At the beginning of the program, the speaker must be introduced as an SSCS Distinguished Lecturer and the event identified as "sponsored by the IEEE Solid-State Circuits Society under its Distinguished Lecturer Program."
2. Prior to the technical talk, the Chapter Chair or DL should deliver the SSCS Overview presentation. A standard set of slides may be downloaded by clicking here.
Recording and Submitting DL Travel Expenses for Reimbursement
After a DL has been completed, the Lecturer should email a completed IEEE Expense Report Form and related receipts to Lauren Caruso, SSCS Administrator, within 30 days. Lecturers should use a separate IEEE expense report form for each currency, or converting all currencies used to US dollars reported on a single report. An IEEE check or wire transfer will be processed in US dollars, unless some other currency is requested, and sent to the Distinguished Lecturer as reimbursement.
Reporting the Visit for the SSCS Magazine
1. The Chapter Chair who sponsored the event should send a brief report to Abira Sengupta , SSCS Magazine News Editor, copying the DL Program Chair with basic facts about the meeting: the place and time, the number of people attending (students, faculty, engiineers from local industry; Society members, visitors); and the relationship of the speaker's topic to local IC activity.
2. The distinguished lecturer should prepare an extended abstract about his/her topic for the People or Chapter News Section of the SSCS Magazine and send it to Abira Altvater.
Out of Country Medical Coverage
Some IEEE travel and medical insurance plans cover health care costs incurred by travelers on IEEE business outside the United States.