Welcome to the SSCS Industry News, where we will bring you the latest trends in semiconductor design and manufacturing, as well as applications for our products. We hope you will find this useful as an SSCS member. We are looking forward for your feedback at email@example.com.
Stefan Rusu, TSMC North America
Industry Leader Profile - Andreia Cathelin
Andreia Cathelin (M’04, SM’11) started her electronic studies at the Polytechnic Institute of Bucarest, Romania and graduated from the Institut Supérieur d’Electronique du Nord (ISEN), Lille, France in 1994. In 1998 and 2013 respectively, she received her PhD and “habilitation à diriger des recherches” (France's highest academic degree) from the Université de Lille 1, France.
In 1997, she worked at Info Technologies, Gradignan, France, working on analog and RF communications design. Since 1998, she has been with STMicroelectronics, Crolles, France, now in Technology R&D, as a Senior Member of the Technical Staff. Her major fields of interest are in the area of RF/mmW/THz systems for communications and imaging. She is leading and driving research in such advanced topics by supervising internal company PhD’s and through cooperation with major universities around the world. She has also managed activities in the ST-CMP operation (the CMP is an independent organization offering small series foundry services for SME and research institutes). Finally she actively supports the promotion of all advanced technologies developed in the company.
Andreia is serving on several IEEE conferences and committees. She has been active with ISSCC for several years. In 2011 as a TPC member, RF sub-committee chair from 2012 to 2015, and currently Forums Chair and member of the Executive Committee. She is a member of the ESSCIRC TPC since 2005. Since September 2013, Andreia has been on the Steering Committee of the ESSCIRC-ESSDERC conferences, and she is currently the SC Chair. She is as well member of the experts’ team of the AERES (French Evaluation Agency for Research and Higher Education). She has been on the Technical Program Committees of VLSI Symposium on Circuits from 2010 till 2016, serving in 2016 as an officer. She has been Guest Editor of the IEEE JSSC Special Issue on VLSI Symposium in April 2016.
She has authored and co-authored 100 technical papers and 4 book chapters, and has filed more than 25 patents. Andreia is a co-recipient of the ISSCC 2012 Jan Van Vessem Award for Outstanding European Paper and of the ISSCC 2013 Jack Kilby Award for Outstanding Student Paper. She is also the winner of the 2012 STMicroelectronics Technology Council Innovation Prize.
The 60GHz transceiver test-chip resulting of a joint research between STMicroelectronics and CEA-Leti to which Andreia has actively participated has been selected as cover photo for the International Seventh Edition (Oxford University Press 2016) of the famous Adel S. Sedra and Kenneth C. Smith Microelectronics Circuits book.
She is an elected member of the IEEE SSCS Adcom for the term January 2015 to December 2017.
Outside of work, Andreia has numerous hobbies: hiking and skiing with her family, spending precious family time in cultural trips around the world, and finally singing in a choir.
- Cyclist injured in hit-and-run near IBM north of Boulder - Boulder Daily Camera
- Paul Lewis: Oracle take wind from sails - New Zealand Herald
- Intel Combines Global AI Work Under Former Nervana Systems CEO - Xconomy
- Adobe and IBM Are Rolling Out More Artificial Intelligence Tools for Brands - Adweek
- Eight Vendors Driving Disruption In The IBM Ecosystem - Forbes
- Samsung Galaxy S8 Plus Leaks in Hi-Res Live Images; Official Accessories and Their Pricing Also Leak - XDA Developers (blog)
- Everything we think we know about the Samsung Galaxy S8 - TechCrunch
- Samsung CEO Cites Revamp Pitfalls - Fox Business
- SK Telecom T1 falls in decisive Samsung Galaxy sweep - ESPN
- Could a Moore's Law for carbon emissions halt climate change? - Christian Science Monitor
Internet of Things
- 'IOT will play a key role in daily life' - Times of India
- Industrial Internet Of Things can push Asean forward - The New Paper
- IoT Evolution World Week in Review: Vodafone, IBM, Qualcomm - IoT Evolution World (blog)
- This Bitcoin Botnet is Vying to Be Future of Secure IoT - CoinDesk
- Apple AirPods are to IoT what iPhone was to cellphones - InfoWorld
- Are we finally reacting to the disruptive supremacy of Facebook and Google? - The Guardian
- China says Apple isn't cloning a local phone maker - Engadget
- Apple opens new stores in Nanjing, Cologne and Miami - Apple Newsroom (press release)
- Exclusive: How Drake and Apple Music broke streaming records with More Life - The Verge
- I fixed Apple's red iPhone with a $14 screen protector - The Verge
Energy & Sustainability
- Clean Energy Renewables introduces plan to bring solar power to Rock Island - WQAD.com
- LETTER: Bird's-eye view of wind power in NC - Jacksonville Daily News
- Sustainability funding frozen, student projects being affected - The Orion
- "Tiny House" at CFCC teaches students construction, sustainability - StarNewsOnline.com
- We all will benefit from more solar power - Kennebec Journal & Morning Sentinel