Welcome to the SSCS Industry News, where we will bring you the latest trends in semiconductor design and manufacturing, as well as applications for our products. We hope you will find this useful as an SSCS member. We are looking forward for your feedback at email@example.com.
Stefan Rusu, TSMC North America
Industry Leader Profile - Andreia Cathelin
Andreia Cathelin (M’04, SM’11) started her electronic studies at the Polytechnic Institute of Bucarest, Romania and graduated from the Institut Supérieur d’Electronique du Nord (ISEN), Lille, France in 1994. In 1998 and 2013 respectively, she received her PhD and “habilitation à diriger des recherches” (France's highest academic degree) from the Université de Lille 1, France.
In 1997, she worked at Info Technologies, Gradignan, France, working on analog and RF communications design. Since 1998, she has been with STMicroelectronics, Crolles, France, now in Technology R&D, as a Senior Member of the Technical Staff. Her major fields of interest are in the area of RF/mmW/THz systems for communications and imaging. She is leading and driving research in such advanced topics by supervising internal company PhD’s and through cooperation with major universities around the world. She has also managed activities in the ST-CMP operation (the CMP is an independent organization offering small series foundry services for SME and research institutes). Finally she actively supports the promotion of all advanced technologies developed in the company.
Andreia is serving on several IEEE conferences and committees. She has been active with ISSCC for several years. In 2011 as a TPC member, RF sub-committee chair from 2012 to 2015, and currently Forums Chair and member of the Executive Committee. She is a member of the ESSCIRC TPC since 2005. Since September 2013, Andreia has been on the Steering Committee of the ESSCIRC-ESSDERC conferences, and she is currently the SC Chair. She is as well member of the experts’ team of the AERES (French Evaluation Agency for Research and Higher Education). She has been on the Technical Program Committees of VLSI Symposium on Circuits from 2010 till 2016, serving in 2016 as an officer. She has been Guest Editor of the IEEE JSSC Special Issue on VLSI Symposium in April 2016.
She has authored and co-authored 100 technical papers and 4 book chapters, and has filed more than 25 patents. Andreia is a co-recipient of the ISSCC 2012 Jan Van Vessem Award for Outstanding European Paper and of the ISSCC 2013 Jack Kilby Award for Outstanding Student Paper. She is also the winner of the 2012 STMicroelectronics Technology Council Innovation Prize.
The 60GHz transceiver test-chip resulting of a joint research between STMicroelectronics and CEA-Leti to which Andreia has actively participated has been selected as cover photo for the International Seventh Edition (Oxford University Press 2016) of the famous Adel S. Sedra and Kenneth C. Smith Microelectronics Circuits book.
She is an elected member of the IEEE SSCS Adcom for the term January 2015 to December 2017.
Outside of work, Andreia has numerous hobbies: hiking and skiing with her family, spending precious family time in cultural trips around the world, and finally singing in a choir.
- IBM-powered DNA sequencing could find bacteria in raw milk - Engadget
- Oracle soars into the clouds; Twitter, Pandora also rise - The Mercury News
- Oracle: Buy It Because It's Been Out of Favor, Say Bulls - Barron's
- Amazon, Microsoft Still Rule Cloud; Oracle, Alibaba May Catch Up (ORCL, BABA) - Investopedia
- Oracle CEO Mark Hurd: 'We're different than Amazon' - CNBC
- Nvidia's Presence In Cars Is Threatened By Intel And Qualcomm - Seeking Alpha
- House intel panel plans to interview John Podesta - CNNPolitics.com - CNN
- iMac Pro May Feature Intel's Server-Grade 'Purley' Processors, ARM Coprocessor - Mac Rumors
- Nvidia Vs. Intel: Machine Learning To Reach $5 Billion By 2021 - Seeking Alpha
- Samsung Closing in on Taking Over Former Caterpillar Factory in South Carolina - TheStreet.com
Internet of Things
- CIOs should step into the IoT oversight void - ITworld
- The Week In Review: IoT - SemiEngineering
- IDC projects wearables market to grow 20 percent in 2017 - MobiHealthNews
- IoT's next role: Supporting the tech-powered personalization of customer experience - TechTarget (blog)
- IoT Evolution Speakers: Lee Gruenfeld Speaks Out - IoT Evolution World (blog)
- Google begins removing private medical records from search results - The Guardian
- Google Leak Delivers Pixel 2 Nasty Surprise - Forbes
- Elon Musk was the reason one of Apple's most famous developers left Tesla after only six months - Business Insider
- Chicago's new Apple store has a giant MacBook for a roof - The Verge
- Uber knew fired exec had info at center of Google theft case - ABC News
Energy & Sustainability
- Montana has the smallest renewable energy incentives in the region after regulator's vote - Billings Gazette
- AP FACT CHECK: Trump's solar-power brainwave was borrowed - Fox Business
- No 'backup' charge for home solar power users - Bangkok Post
- Renewable energy no longer a niche to institutional investors - Reuters
- Oakland County communities recognized for efforts devoted to energy efficiency and sustainability - The Daily Tribune